Monday, April 16, 2012

Blueberry Pop Tarts

                                            Blueberry Pop Tarts! Are you in love yet?
Okay, so I'm a HUGE pop-tarts fan. I know, they're horrible for you, but I think of them more of a dessert than breakfast! So anyway, I knew I had to come up with my own recipe. I had been rummaging around the kitchen for awhile, trying to figure out what to make for some friends who I'm seeing tomorrow. And I really wanted to make something from my own head, and not just have my eyes glued to a recipe. Aha! Pop tarts! I got so excited I started them first thing this morning. They turned out amazing! And so much better then real pop tarts, I have to say!

For the filling:
1 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. flour
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
3 cups frozen blueberries
2 tsp. vanilla

For the pastry:
1 3/4 cup shortening
2 tsp. salt
4 cups flour
8-10 tbsp. cold water

For the glaze:
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup whole milk

For the filling: Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour and mix to create a paste. Add water, sugar, blueberries, and vanilla, bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir until thickened, turn off heat, let cool completely. 
For the pastry: Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Cut flour and salt into shortening. Add water, one tablespoon at a time, until it turns into a dough. Roll out thin enough to cut 32 4 by 3 inch rectangles. Dollop filling onto 16 rectangles. Top with remaining rectangles, pinch with finger or a fork to seal up sides. Bake 10-14 minutes, until edges are golden brown.
For the glaze. Mix all ingredients, stir until consistent. Spread onto pop tarts. Makes 16. Enjoy!! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment